I want nothing more than for my baby girl to grow up knowing her Heavenly Father and having a real relationship with Jesus, and I don’t think there is any better way to encourage that than to start diving into the word with her as early as possible.
Proverbs 22:6 says, “Train up a child in the way he should go; and when he is old, he will not depart from it.”
I’m taking this verse to heart and have started a daily devotional time with Grace already. While she may not really understand any of our reading and discussion yet, making this a part of our day sets the precedent that spending time with God each day is a priority in our lives. Continue reading
I’ve mentioned before that I’ve been taking the last 9 months to help me prepare my heart to mother my child. Another way I’ve been preparing is by praying for my child, and I wanted to share a great resource I found that has really helped me be able to do that effectively.
Early on in my pregnancy I came across this blog post from Arabah Joy. I just love the way she articulates the early onset of motherhood, describing it as both exhilarating and sobering. And, as we grow ever closer to birthing our baby into the world, we experience labor like that which is to come. One of the best ways to prepare for all of this, I have found, is to spend time in prayer – in specific, diligent prayer for my baby, my child…
I adapted my prayers from those that Arabah shared, and I hope that you can do the same. As you pray for an unborn child or for one who has already entered the world, may your prayers be specific and concrete. It’s never too early to start praying, so consider these prayers with accompanying scripture to guide you.
- You are beautifully and wonderfully made. Psalm 139:13-14
- Your days have been planned by God. Psalm 139:16
- You will be convicted by the Holy Spirit. John 16:8
- You will be aware of the state of your heart. Matthew 7:21-23
- You have a real relationship with God. John 15:7-9
- You have been called to be pure. Thessalonians 4:7
- You can fully rely on God. Proverbs 3:5-6
- You respect and fear God. Proverbs 9:10
- You will possess and exercise self-control. Titus 2:12
- Your needs are provided by God. Luke 12:24
- You will love God’s word. Psalm 119:97
- You will be great by your acts of service. Mark 10:43-45
- You will be compassionate, patient, and meek. Colossians 3:12-13
- You will have unwavering faith. Hebrews 1:23
- You will grow in grace and knowledge. 2 Peter 3:18
- You will seek justice, love mercy, and walk humbly. Micah 6:8
- You will become wise. Proverbs 13:20
- You will be a light in the dark. Ephesians 5:8
- You will bear fruit. John 15:8
- You will desire God with all your heart. Isaiah 26:8
Remember, God has specifically chosen you to be the mother of this child. You have the exact capabilities that this child needs to be loved, cared for, and mothered. May that always begin with prayer.
I made a printable version of these prayers to hang in our daughter’s nursery. Get your copy here. Also, let me know if there is any interest in a color variation for a boy child. I’d be happy to make adjustments and share with mamas of boys as well.